If you are a CADC patient with a scheduled colon or rectal surgery at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center, it is important to prepare for your procedure. Some considerations include pre-surgery diet, post-surgery diet, what to expect while you are in the hospital, and what you will need to do after discharge from the hospital. The Center for Advanced Digestive Care has information available for download for patients with an upcoming colorectal surgery, with or without bowel resection.
Your physician’s information should supersede any information or instructions provided in these documents. Please contact your doctor’s office with any questions regarding your upcoming procedure.
Colorectal Bowel Resection Surgery
If you will be having a colorectal bowel resection surgery, all documents in this section can be relevant to your procedure. Begin your preparation by reading our Colorectal Pre-Surgery Education packet.
- Discharge Planning Begins Now
- Health Care Proxy – English
- Health Care Proxy – Spanish
- Pre-Operative Surgery Instructions
- Things to Think About When You are In the Hospital
- Bowel Surgery: Discomforts and Complications
- Low Residue Diet
- What to Expect After Bowel Resection with Ostomy Surgery
- What to Expect after Bowel Resection Surgery
Colorectal Surgery (without bowel resection)
If you will be having a colorectal surgery that will not involve bowel resection, all documents in this section can be relevant to your procedure. Begin your preparation by reading our Colorectal Pre-Surgery Education packet.